Sunday, July 31, 2011

Is it me or System that is wrong???



“Why do you have to go against everything?” My mom yelled at me today. Everything means a lot for me. It’s not everything that I am against; it’s everything that I think is wrong. I can understand that everyone has their own way of perceiving, thinking and approaching things. And most of them believe that their way is right. And I am no difference than any of them, one among millions in a country and among billions in the world. But I am flexible; if somebody convinces me with reasons then I will agree with them. You can’t prove you are right and you don’t want to concur with others. That’s not fair.
           
Today my Nephew (Bhanja) who is just few years younger than me came home with sister. He wants to do Master in Business. All of my family members were discussing about his further study. I listened to them for a while and told them he doesn’t need to study. Everyone was surprised to hear that.

 “Do you want to spoil his career?” My sister said.

“No, I want him to be successful in his career that’s why I don’t want him to study. Many people in the country with good education and higher degree are unemployed. The train of studying and getting higher degrees has become the culture in average Nepalese family despite the fact that the chances of getting jobs are feeble. All the burdens that parents faced to educate their child is not being rewarded. In this situation you want to follow the same train that others are following. Even if he finish his master degree than the best thing that could happen to him is a job.”

“What’s so wrong with getting a job?”  My Sister asked.

“I’m not saying that is wrong. I am just trying to say that it’s better to think about being among few job creator than be among thousands of job seekers. If he is interested in Business than the degree that he has obtained is enough to start a business. Why doesn’t he start looking for ideal business and a place of opportunity to start a business?”

 As I just said the place of opportunity, Bhanja immediately said, “Do you want me to go America to start a business?”

“Who told you that there is opportunity in foreign lands? Yes, there used to be so that they called it land of opportunity but that was about hundreds of years ago when that place was developing and new for so many things. If you go there now then you have to work hard to survive, pay tuitions fee and finish your degree. And still the best thing that could happen to you is an average job. Very rare Nepalese citizens are living so called American dreams. This country is developing and this is a land of opportunity today. This place is Naïve to so many things. Bring a new idea it will flourish.”

“What can I do here, there are a lot of people like me?” bhanja asked.


“Why don’t you try to be innovative or at least try to do something extra than others or do the same things in different way? We are depending on our Neighboring country for most of those things which we can produce in our country. This ensures that there is no deficiency of market in our country. Among which agricultural products are one. It’s not that we don’t have source, we just need young educated people like you to show interest and do it in modern way. There are repeated broadcast of successful stories in television and newspapers about Entrepreneur in Nepal. One of my friends who was born and raised in Kathmandu was frustrated about unemployment. He purchased lands somewhere in Nuwakot with the help of bank and started raising cows and goats. Now he conducts his own dairy firm, has added poultry products and vegetables in his business. He is not only employed but also providing job to many and he is helping nearby farmers by purchasing their milk and other products. This is just an example; there are hundreds of other opportunities waiting to be explored.”

“Don’t you think more educated citizens are required to develop a Nation?” my sister interrupted.

“Yes we required educated citizen but that doesn’t mean that we have to pile up highly educated unemployed citizen in urban areas. We need to educate the people in rural part of the country. See the difference in education in our country. One part of the country has plenty of higher degree holders whereas other part of the country is hardly literate. We just can analyze the result of SLC where almost half of the students were unable to pass the exam; On the other hand about 30,000 students scored distinctions. We need to find a balance on education in the country. Skewing the curve will not help.”

“I agree with you Mama (Uncle)  but where should I go to find the place of opportunity?” Bhanja got curious.

I was happy to hear that. “Kathmandu is suitable for large investment, competitive for middle and least opportunity for small investment. So it will be better if you go out of valley and start something new. This will not only benefit you but also benefit that place and people living there. And most important thing is you will be playing a major role in the development of a Nation.”

“No, he must finish his study first,” said my mom and sister.

“Give me some good reasons why he should not start a business when there are plenty of business opportunities awaiting and abundance of unemployed master degree holders in the country?” 





4 comments:

  1. "I am just trying to say that it’s better to think about being among few job creator than be among thousands of job seekers" --> so well said!

    and, sth i think you'll like (not that everything they say is agreeable...but) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nepaliketi: Thank u!!!
    Just finished watching the video;
    …..More and more people believing by going to college is their passport to the future. It’s not what used to be. College degree, that bs, what did that buy to you?........ that was well said in the video regarding their circumstances n it somehow is applicable in our context too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you think, kindred spirit <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Firefly,n I like the way u write. kindred spirit <3

    ReplyDelete